Friday, April 23, 2010

Past Results

Let me inform you a little bit on why the U.S. is considered a joke in international soccer. Four years ago in the last World Cup, the U.S. did not win a single game. They tied the future champions of the tournament which almost counts as something but the win column still consisted of a goose egg.
The way the World Cup works is 32 teams qualify by winning or placing in other tournaments before the World Cup qualification comes to an end. Any country that can find 11 semi-decent players can get this far so it is nothing to celebrate. From there, 8 groups of 4 are split up. These four teams play the other three teams in their group with the two best records of the group moving on. So essentially, a team just has to be in the top half of their group of four in order to move out of their group. Not a challenging task. From there it becomes a lose and go home elimination style. Winning four games after getting out of your pool wins you the tournament. Now let me tell you how the U.S. did last tournament. We came dead last in our opening group. To some countries this would be a huge disappointment and the citizens would be mad, but not here. In the U.S. we barely even know who we are playing or who is on the team. I see this as a huge lack of country pride. This is a worldwide competition against every country in the world. With that in mind I say, GET INVOLVED AND SUPPORT OUR TEAM!!!

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I file under that category of not caring. I'm a changed man now. What I want to see are fans going crazy in the stands. I want to see fans- painted in red, white, and blue- chanting "Ole!" and intimidating other countries.

    ReplyDelete